Thursday, April 23, 2015

Learning Curve


We interrupt our regularly scheduled painting for this, well, major interruption.  Art doesn't sell itself.

There is quite the learning curve to all this online sales biz.  I am working on photographing items and trying to make sure the lighting gives an accurate representation of the colors, particularly metals and reflective surfaces.  I am watching YouTube tutorials, and practicing new techniques.  Lots to learn there.  

Then there is the mailing, which for me is just plain weird.  First of all, no one in my family is surprised to get their birthday card a week or so late.  As far as packages go, Christmas in March is normal, isn't it?  But I have managed to get all of my orders out on time, and my last order was almost instant.  Well, a day, but still, that is pretty good.  

I am also learning about great packaging.  Years ago I ordered an old book off of Ebay, and it arrived with a teeny, tiny alligator in the package as a thank you for my order,  If you know our family, you'll know that that little gator has lived in our Christmas village for years now.  Whoever finds him re-hides him again, and the search goes on for weeks.  I wish I knew the sellers name so that I could tell her about what her tiny gift has become in our home.

I just received an order of some supplies from another Etsy seller that also arrived with a little thank you gift, a tiny teapot charm.  I love the way that little gift made me smile, and she couldn't have known that my mom loved teapots, but it sure was sweet to get something so accidentally personal.  I want to make sure that my buyers get to enjoy that same cheery experience.  I would love your suggestions!  Please leave them in the comments section below (it will also let me test drive the comments feature here.  Traditionally it hasn't worked well for me on my family blog).

Guy is taking over the bookkeeping.  Yay!  And I am teaching him how to post listings of new items.  Double yay!  Less computer time for me, more art time.


We now return to our regularly scheduled painting.  


These cuties are available on Etsy right now.

And if you would like to order from Loretta's Beads, visit her at Lorettasbeads.etsy.com.  She was awesome, and she uses a time machine for shipping.  I swear my package came 5 minutes before I even finished my order.
(Then let me know what your little gift was!)



2 comments:

  1. Laine - what about a little thank you card with one of your watercolors on it - like you do for your Christmas cards - with a short personal thank you note from you? It would be like getting a little piece of art - they can even be framed - didn't Tracey do that with one of your cards?

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's a great idea, Julie! Thank You!

    ReplyDelete