Sunday, May 3, 2015

Tuesdays With Kathy


Every Tuesday, Kathy and I dedicate 3 totally interrupted hours to a project.  We stop fifty times to break up fights, wipe noses, distribute crackers and be vaguely parental.  In the past we have carved clay eggs, created garden art and made holiday decorations.  This month our very slow going project has been this shadow box that took about 10 times longer to do than previously expected.  We should absolutely get government jobs!  
 (this is not the finished product, but I want to get a little braver about showing my incomplete work).

For this project we are making a scene of the children playing hide and seek in the paper forest.  We created the landscape silhouettes and then cut them on her Cricut Super-Fancy-Schmancy machine (I'm pretty sure that is the model name for it if you are looking to buy one.  Make sure you go to the craft store and ask for it by that name).  I photographed all of the kids, spent hours editing and programming the precision cut outs to be done on her machine, while Kathy worked on the sizing details for the layered elements.  Guy made fun of us for how much effort went in to selecting the perfect colors of paper, and being that Kathy and I are both ridiculously picky, it took two trips to  craft stores miles away to get, what Guy calls, "beige, beige and beige" paper.

That's okay, the finished project will be beautiful.


Baring illness or earthquake
 (ooo, I shouldn't have said that.  I hate earthquakes), 
we should finish this week, 
 I'll post the finished image.

No comments:

Post a Comment