Monday, February 1, 2016

Relic Boxes


The first of my Relic Boxes are glazed and ready to become the homes to precious objects.  I'm not sure what will live in them yet.  Maybe they aren't even going to stay here at all, who knows?  They have been done since before Christmas but other pots have pushed their way onto my front burners these last two months.  Including trying to put my studio back together after the sale.



I learned a lot about this new glaze (the light green).  It's called Art Deco, and if you put it on thickly you get some great, mat greens.  Too thin, though, and brush marks show up (see inside of the box).  It fills in deep spaces nicely though.


This was the first box.  It ended up damaged before the first firing, but I decided to forge ahead (which would be a really funny pun if I were working in metal casting, but alas, it was an un-punny  high fire kiln-ing) and finish it.  Knowing that no one but you, dear reader, and I, will know the secret damage (you will have to look at the previous post to figure it out), I went ahead.  I think it was not a completely tragical change (yes, I know that's not a word.  HA!  Tricked you!  It IS a word.  Only I think I just used it incorrectly).


This last little box it tiny.  It isn't empty, because it holds a little piece of my heart.  I made it the day my first little bird (okay, big... huge, actually), left our nest.  It was a very hard day for me.
I took it out on the clay.

*****


In other not-so-informative-news, I got to help judge the California Pioneer Spirit in Art show in Folsom this month.  If you can't be in an art show (I could have, it was just a busy time), judging is pretty dang cool.  It was particularly fun working with the folks I judged with, Juli Blanco (above), and Pat Sanderson (not pictured), and to work with Boyd Jensen, the event organizer (above).

I think I might participate next time.  I was sort'a havin' art-envy.

Also, as soon as I got home I did sketches of ideas that were dancing around in my skull after being there.  So, yeah, I might have to do it.  

My art list for the year is getting kinda long.

2 comments: